Fluoride is one of the most harmful impurities in our drinking water. It is linked to several health problems like thyroid issues and fertility problems, yet over 73% of Americans are exposed to fluoride in their drinking water.
This is why we have put together a list of the best fluoride water filters.
Ready? Let’s get started…
Best Water Filters That Remove Fluoride: Short Summary
Despite the fact that there are many health issues posed by the contamination of fluoride in your drinking water, most state municipalities in America add fluoride to the city water supply.
Like millions of Americans, if you would rather not risk drinking fluoride contaminated water, you need a good fluoride water filter.
We’ve researched the best fluoride water filters on the market in 2022 for you and put together this handy list of the top 7 water filters.
7 Best Water Filters That Remove Fluoride Reviewed
1. Travel Berkey
The Travel Berkey gravity-fed water filter is a portable fluoride water filter with a capacity of 1.5 gallons. It doesn’t need electricity or plumbing to operate—you can get fluoride-free drinking water at any place or time.
The Black Berkey elements filter out a wide range of contaminants and can be used for any kind of freshwater source including tap water.
It is meant for use by up to 3 people on a daily basis and it is recommended that you change the Black Berkey Elements after 6,000 gallons of water usage.
- Black Berkey elements address fluoride, arsenic, pre-oxidized arsenic, heavy metal ion residues and 200+ contaminants commonly found in freshwater sources.
- It is built of stainless steel and weighs 6.97 pounds.
- 2 Black Berkey elements are included with the water filter, which will need replacement after 6,000 gallons of use, whereas the additional PF-2 fluoride and arsenic reduction elements will need replacement after 1,000 gallons of use.
- This portable water filter system can be used for camping, fishing, RVing and emergency situations too. Just pour untreated water into the system and the spigot will dispense clean potable drinking water.
2. Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher
The Epic Pure water filter pitcher is a clear countertop model. It is portable, convenient and doesn’t require any installation. It is quite handy to have as it can be used while traveling and can even fit into your refrigerator if need be.
It removes up to 99.9% of fluoride present in the water. You don’t need to keep count of when you last replaced the filter—a timer on the lid counts down the days for you and alerts you when it is time to change the water filter.
- Made of 100% BPA-free plastic with a capacity of 150 gallons.
- Comes with an LED timer in the lid that counts from 90 days to remind you when it is time to change the filter.
- An industry-leading filtration system with a solid carbon block that removes fluoride, chlorine, lead and haloacetic acids among a wide range of other contaminants.
- The smart filter does not leech out healthy minerals like magnesium and calcium.
3. Zerowater ZD018
The Zerowater ZD018 is a 5 stage water filter dispenser touted to provide the purest tasting water. It has an NSF-certified lead reduction filtration system that removes most dissolved solids from your drinking water.
It has a compact design and is recommended for usage at home or in small offices. This water filter system has a one-hand push and pour dispensing system that allows you to fill your cup or water bottle without lifting anything.
- Made of BPA-free plastic and weighs 3.31 pounds.
- Comes with a handy electronic TDS water testing meter and a Zerowater filter cartridge.
- Has a capacity of 11.9 pounds. The filter has a lifespan of 20 pounds of water, but it can vary depending on the quality of the water.
- It uses the ion exchange filtration method which removes 99.6% of all removed solids.
4. Waterdrop Tankless Reverse Osmosis System
The Waterdrop tankless RO system is a compact and highly effective filtration system. This under-sink water filter will save you up to 70% storage space in the kitchen and has a faster water flow than average RO systems.
The comprehensive filter removes multiple levels of impurities and gives you the purest tasting water. Due to its tankless design, you get a steady flow of water, filling a cup within 12 seconds of activation.
It is an economically viable choice as it saves 60% more water as compared to average RO systems.
- It has a CF filter with a sediment PP membrane and carbon block and an MRO filter that absorbs TDS and heavy metal residue.
- The housing is airtight, minimizing noise and the integrated water circuits prevent leakage.
- Replacing the filters is extremely convenient as they are twist-and-pull models that can be replaced in 3 seconds.
- Comes with filter life indicators that warn you when it is time to replace the filters.
5. AquaTru – Countertop Water Filtration Purification System
The AquaTru countertop water filter employs ultra reverse osmosis to get rid of fluoride and many other water contaminants. This RO system removes 99.9% of all dissolved impurities and is NSF certified for 83 known contaminants.
It does not require installation like other RO systems, you can just pour unfiltered water into the tank and the system will filter it for you. The drinking water to water waste ratio is 1:4, which is the average rate for most RO systems.
- The 4-step filtration system gets rid of thousands of contaminants including arsenic, chromium, fluoride, copper, radium, lead, carcinogens and chlorine.
- The filters have a lifespan of 600 to 1,200 gallons, meaning they will last you anywhere between 6 months to 2 years.
- It has a compact design and doesn’t take up too much of your counter space.
- Purifies 1 gallon of freshwater in under 15 minutes.
- It does not need any installation or setup.
6. Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System
The Frizzlife Under Sink Water Filter System is a convenient, low-cost water filter with premium water filtration performance. It is IAMPO certified for filtration, structural integrity and material safety, so you don’t need to worry about it breaking down.
It can be used for your sink and refrigerator at the same time with the addition of Frizzlife’s ice-maker kit. It is very convenient to install, you can DIY it and replacing the filters is super fast and simple.
- It is made of plastic and weighs 8 pounds.
- It has a 7-step filtration system that gets rid of 99% of contaminants and pollutants including dust, lead, heavy metals, chlorine and fluoride. It does not reduce the beneficial minerals present in the water.
- The filtration system has upgraded features and comes with a pressure regulator to reduce leakage and cracks.
- There is a 3-year maximum guarantee.
- The water flow rate is 2 gallons per minute at 60 psi.
7. Hskyhan Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher
The Hskyhan alkaline water filter pitcher is a convenient, pocket-friendly water filtration system. It has a compact, elegant design that can be placed in your refrigerator or be used while traveling.
This water filter system delivers alkaline water free of harmful chemicals like fluoride and is very easy to assemble. It guarantees a post-filtration pH value of 8-10.
- Made of BPA-free plastic and comes with an LED timer that alerts you when it is time to change the filter and 2 filters.
- The 5-layer filtration system removes chlorine, fluoride, lead sediments and other contaminants. The filter needs to be replaced after 60 days.
- Has a large capacity of over 77 pounds.
Best Water Filters That Remove Fluoride: Buyer’s Guide
If you are confused about which kind of water filter will be best for you, read on for a detailed breakdown of everything you need to know before buying a fluoride water filter.
Types of Water Filters That Remove Fluoride
There are many different kinds of filters that remove fluoride. To understand which one will suit you best, you need to consider the running cost, durability, lifespan of filters, and the quality of water in your area.
Reverse osmosis is the most effective method of filtering water for drinking. It works by pushing water through a semi-permeable membrane which deionizes it and traps all the contaminants, letting clean and safe water flow out to the other side.
RO water filters catch up to 99.9% of all dissolved solids in the water. There are many different kinds of RO water filters. The following are the most common for removing fluoride:
UnderSink Fluoride Filter
As the name suggests, under-sink water filters are installed under your sink. They are connected to the cold water line. When you turn your faucet on, water flows through the water filter first and reaches your faucet, giving you filtered drinking water.
They usually have multiple filter layers, one of which is dedicated to trapping fluoride particles. It is not portable and needs plumbing to function.
Countertop Fluoride Filter
A countertop fluoride water filter sits on your countertop and is usually connected to your faucet via a tube. Most countertop fluoride filters have an activated carbon filter that exchanges ions of hydroxide for ions of fluoride, getting rid of the fluoride in the water.
There are several designs where you pour the water into the tank, so the water filter doesn’t need to be connected to a faucet. You could transport these filters, but they are heavy and occupy a lot of space—not the best to travel with.
Faucet Fluoride Filter
Faucet filters are small and compact. You can attach them right to your kitchen faucet and the water flowing out of the faucet will flow through the filter first.
They are good for trapping sediment and larger impurities but don’t always get rid of fluoride. Make sure you go through the product description carefully to see if it filters fluoride too.
These filters are low cost and will work in a pinch, but you should consider a different fluoride water filter for long-term use.
A distiller is the most effective way to purify water. Distillation is a purification process in which water is boiled. It turns into steam and leaves behind all pollutants, including fluoride.
The steam is channeled into a different container through a funnel, where it condenses back into water.
Using a distiller is the most thorough way of filtering water. However, it also rids the water of essential minerals. Distilled water is also less flavored than other kinds of filtered water, so it might taste a bit strange to you.
There is a lot of debate over whether distilled water is safe to drink on a long-term basis, so it is best to avoid distillers as a permanent water filtration system for drinking water.
Filtered pitchers are the cheapest and most accessible way to filter water for most people. You just fill the pitcher with water and the filter inside the pitcher will trap all the pollutants and contaminants.
It takes 15 minutes on average, but the duration can vary depending on the exact model and condition of the filter.
While these water filters are cheap and effective, their filters don’t last very long. Most of them need to be replaced in 2-3 months, so you need to keep purchasing new filters.
Things to Consider While Choosing a Water Filter
Lifespan: All water filters have different lifespans. Some water filters might cost you less but need water filter replacements every 2 months, making them way more expensive in the long run.
Replacing the filter is not something you can skip out on, so make sure you consider the running cost of the water filter before you decide to buy one.
Other Contaminants: Fluoride has many harmful effects in high doses, but it is not the only contaminant you need to watch out for. See if you can find a local water quality report and make note of the contaminants in your drinking water.
Check if the water filter you intend to buy will be able to get rid of all these contaminants. For contaminants like lead or chlorine, NSF-certified water filters are your best bet.
If you use well water as a source for your drinking water, make sure your water filter is certified by NSF for standard P231, which will ensure that it gets rid of microbiological particles like bacteria and viruses.
Investment: Some water filtration systems like ROs and water distillers can be very expensive.
It is a considerable investment, but it will pay for itself over the years as you will have access to clean drinking water for virtually forever, provided you maintain the water filter properly.
Cheaper ones cost less upfront but they either break down within a few years or need frequent replacement of filters. Assess your finances first and make an investment accordingly.
- Portability: You need to decide if you want a portable filter. If you travel a lot or simply want a water filter to take on picnics and barbeques, you should choose a portable water filter that isn’t too heavy and doesn’t need plumbing or electricity.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Flouride Harmful?
Fluoride is not harmful in small quantities, which is why many state municipalities use it to treat the drinking water supply. However, sometimes the amount of fluoride in the water supply exceeds the permissible limits.
Consuming too much fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, skeletal fluorosis, thyroid problems, neurological problems and even fluoride poisoning in extreme cases.
It is thus better to use a water filter that removes fluoride and other known contaminants from drinking water.
Do Water Filters Remove Fluoride?
Most water filters do remove fluoride. However, not every filtration system is the same, so make sure you check the user manual and product guide to see if the water filter removes fluoride or not.
You should also check for other major contaminants like chlorine or lead. They are pretty common in some areas and can cause serious health issues.
Fluoride contamination is a very serious issue and we often do not find out about it until the damage is done. Getting a fluoride water filter is one of the best ways to ensure that your drinking water is completely safe and free of contaminants.
If you aren’t sure which fluoride water filter will suit you best, go through our buyer’s guide and list of the 7 best fluoride water filters and you’ll surely find what you’re looking for.