For whatever reason, if some water has made its way into the charging port of your phone or laptop, you must make it a point to clear it out completely before you start using it again.
Below, you can go through some steps and methods involved in getting the water out of a charging port.
- Do Not Charge
- Switch the Device Off
- Disconnect Accessories
- Keep Your Phone Upright
- Clear Out the Moisture
- Let It Evaporate
- Use a Fan
- Get a Wireless Charger
- Read Your Phone’s Alerts
- Avoid Shaking the Device
- Do Not Blow
- Final Remarks
Do Not Charge
Make sure you do not charge your device or connect it while the water is still inside. This might end up giving you an electric shock while also creating sparks if you turn the switch on.
Moreover, your device or charger might end up undergoing damage of some sort that might make the issue much worse. Only try charging if the warning from your phone or device has gone away or if the ingress protection (IP) rating is suitable enough.
Switch the Device Off
Before you try out any kind of method or begin the process of removing the water, make sure you turn your device off so that you can work with it more comfortably. This will help ensure that there are no accidents or shocks or any kind of damage within the system itself.
Now that this is done, you can move on to removing the water using the steps or methods mentioned below.
To start off, make it a point to remove any additional accessories or cables that might be connected to your phone. For instance, if you have earphones attached or if there are any phone or laptop covers around your device, you should remove them so that they do not get in the way and do not undergo any kind of damage themselves.
Keep your device completely light and free so that all the excess water can seep out of the charging port.
Keep Your Phone Upright
Keep your phone against some kind of support or surface so that there is enough space and balance for it to stand. Keeping your phone in this position can also make it easier for the water to leak out of the charging port. Keep it like that until all the water has come out of the port.
The same applies to your tablet. If you are using your laptop, turn it around and ensure that the charging port is facing downwards.
Clear Out the Moisture
Once you think most of the water has dripped out, you can try using a small cloth to wipe away the remaining moisture from the charging port. Avoid using things like a cotton swab, safety pin, toothpick or another such object as this can harm the internal structure of the port.
Simply dab the charging port a bit to get rid of all the extra moisture.
Let It Evaporate
If you are not too confident using a cloth or if you still think that there is a little bit of moisture left behind, the best thing to do would be to simply leave your phone to air dry in your room or even outdoors in some shade so that the remaining moisture can evaporate out into the air.
Do not leave your device in the sun or on the ground since this can expose it to overheating and small insects.
Use a Fan
Using a fan can be another way of removing all the water from your charging port. This can also make the process much quicker by pulling the moisture out and evaporating it.
If you are thinking of using heaters or another such appliance with a fan, this is a bad idea since higher temperatures are not good for your device and might end up making matters worse.
Get a Wireless Charger
A wireless charger does not require you to connect your cable to the charging port at all. Instead, you can simply place your phone on the wireless stand and it will charge the phone for you.
This can work well for a temporary (or even permanent) solution if you need your phone to be charged urgently and if the other methods do not work. You might, however, need to buy this kind of charger separately and ensure that it is compatible.
Read Your Phone’s Alerts
Often, your phone can sense the presence of water or a little bit of moisture in its system. In this case, you might notice an alert or warning on your phone screen. Follow the instructions mentioned here and wait for the alert to go away before you reconnect your charger to the port.
Avoid Shaking the Device
Shaking the device to get rid of the water might sound wise but it actually will not help too much. Instead, it might move the water around and damage the system even further. It might also end up displacing some parts.
Simply keep it upright or near a fan so that the water naturally drips out.
Do Not Blow
Blowing air into your charging port might seem like another simple solution, but make sure you avoid this at all costs. Blowing air into the port will only end up sending and shoving the water deeper into the port. This might then get into the other parts and damage them.
Can I Put My Device in Dry Rice?
You can try this out but it is not always something you should rely on, especially since some rice grains can enter the charging port. If you do want to use this method, make sure you keep checking on the device to ensure that everything is safe.
What If None of These Methods Work?
In case you have tried everything out, the best course of action might simply be to contact the official store of your device brand or call a professional device servicer.
It is clear that there are numerous ways in which you can safely remove the water from a charging port. Try these steps out and if they do not work, make sure you take your phone to the repair or servicing shop.